As part of our initiative to improve mathematics engagement across the school, our Year 6 teacher, Chris, will be applying for recognition as a Maths Active School with the Mathematical Association of Western Australia.
The Maths Active School Program enables schools to demonstrate that they actively extend students and teachers beyond the normal mathematics classroom.
As part of the application, the Year 6 class will be holding a Maths Day on Wednesday 29th of June and inviting the Upper Primary to participate in a host of fun math activities. In Term 3, they will run a similar day for Lower Primary students.
In addition, Chris will be setting up a math club for Term 3. The club will centre around Numero® – a card-based game to improve mental maths skills. Features of the Numero® educational game include:
- Significantly improved mental maths ability when played regularly.
- A focused Numero® program can assist with achieving better results in mental computation testing.
- Increases children’s confidence in the classroom.
- Adaptable to all maths levels.
- Encourages tactical thinking and thinking ‘outside the box’.
- Complements any numeracy program.
Finally, the school will be looking for students passionate about maths to participate in this year’s Australian Maths Competition in August. The AMC is an engaging 30-problem competition that demonstrates the importance and relevance of mathematics in students’ everyday lives.
Stay tuned for updates on all the exciting Maths based activities coming up.