Once again we have started the school year with Coronavirus as the hot topic. Clearly, the emergence of the Covid Omicron variant in Western Australia has created challenges for schools and the wider community. We are confident we will work through these challenges very successfully as we have done for the past two years.
*Scroll down for some valuable resources on how to discuss COVID-19 with your children.
The guidelines for the start of the school year at Quintilian follow the advice and direction of the WA Government, Health Department and Independent Schools WA. As the Omicron Covid situation is changing daily, we do expect further details will be forthcoming.
All school staff were required to be double dose vaccinated before Term 1, 2022 began, and are required to have received their booster vaccination within one month of becoming eligible.
- Primary school students are not required to be vaccinated, however, the WA Health Department encourages parents to get their children 5 years and older vaccinated. Information on the safety and efficacy of the COVID-19 vaccines is available at wa.gov.au.
- Primary school students are not required to wear a mask, however may choose to do so.
Parents/carers are not required to be vaccinated when:
- dropping off or picking up their child from school;
- volunteering at school on an ad hoc basis;
- attending an event such as an assembly, sports carnival or parent-teacher interview; or
- entering the school after hours.
‘Ad hoc basis’ means attendance no more than once per week.
Parents/carers are required to provide vaccination evidence (single dose vaccinated from 1 January 2022 and double dose vaccinated from 31 January 2022) or medical exemption when:
- volunteering at the school more than once a week
- working in an unpaid capacity at the school more than once a week; or
- participating in an endorsed program at the school where parent attendance is required.
Health and hygiene
- Students and staff are encouraged to regularly clean their hands with soap and/or sanitiser.
- Covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, using a flexed elbow or tissue.
- Staff, students and parents/carers must stay home when sick.
- Physical contact and physical greetings are avoided where possible.
- Surfaces in classrooms, staff areas, washroom/toilets and drink fountains are cleaned daily.
- Adults maintain a 1.5-metre distance from other adults, where practicable.
- All visitors entering the school site are required to wear a mask in line with the public health requirements in place at the time.
Ventilation and air quality
An indoor air quality assessment of all classrooms is being conducted next Wednesday and we have purchased air quality monitors, which should be delivered mid- February. We will be keeping windows and doors open where practical, and using fans and air conditioners to improve air quality. Any further adjustments will be guided by the outcomes of our air quality assessment.
Unwell student or staff member
If a student or staff member shows possible symptoms of COVID-19, they will be sent home and asked to seek testing in accordance with State guidelines.
Excursions and Incursions
School excursions and incursions may continue with the practise of good hygiene principles and physical distancing of 1.5 metres between adults, where possible. These activities will comply with mandatory vaccination requirements of the site on which the activities take place.
We look forward to working together with you to keep students, staff and all in our Quintilian community safe. Please contact the school if you have any queries.
Below are some great resources for talking to children about Covid-19: